Many “Baby Boomers” are each beginning to feel our age, and I’m excited to share these five baby boomers anti aging hacks with you. Every morning, clock radios everywhere announce the start of another day. As a typical boomer rolls out of bed, an old ache, pain, and/or little worry makes its presence known, just like the day before. The same beverage — coffee, tea, or maybe even caffeinated soda — is ingested in an attempt to energize the same tired face reflected in the morning mirror.
By the time we hit our 50’s, we may have feelings that our lives are not as they could be. Yes, there are pills, and many varieties of the “quick fix”‘ (also called the “Life Makeover”) — everything from creams to diets and Bo-tox injections, perfect-sounding and easy “fountains of youth,” for ourselves. Let’s face it , most of us are looking for ways to slow the ticking of our biological clocks.
I’m here to tell you that in order to really slow that clock down, we must get “radical” in our approach to controlling our processes; getting radical means that we can, in the words of Star Trek character Jean Luc Picard, “make it so”. We can literally make our own clocks tick more slowly.
Getting radical is a process that occurs within ourselves. First of all, it’s the power of our intentions and the measure of our wills. It’s saying to ourselves — with conviction — “I want this to be!” Next, it’s believing, strongly, that we can! When we commit ourselves to these beliefs, we are then capable of achieving many remarkable accomplishments of mind and body. All we have to do is to challenge ourselves and our perceptions of who we are. The five radical tips follow:
Baby Boomer Anti Aging Hacks
1. Firewalking: How does walking on fire relate to youthing? An art that’s been practiced in many cultures for thousands of years, firewalking is about mind/body transformation. Its goal is to” question” the laws of nature. The experience becomes a powerful metaphor for anti-aging — which I refer to as youthing — and it’s a very radical way of challenging ourselves to stretch beyond what we think is possible. I have participated in dozens of fire walks, and the experiences taught me more about myself, and about questioning nature’s laws as they applied to me, than I’d ever thought possible. Oh — and I walked on fire.
2. Breathwork. This is a simple yet profound yogic breathing technique that has a cleansing and healing effect at all levels of our awareness — physical, spiritual, emotional, and mental. It’s the quickest method available that can aid us in healing from previous traumas, negative belief systems, and unwanted “baggage” that many of us unconsciously carry around with us.
3. Fasting. As I write this, I have just completed a four-day fast. (How could I talk my talk without walking it?) Fasting is perhaps the most powerful tip for youthing. Many of us, especially in the U.S., literally eat ourselves to death. Note: there are many types of fasts and many reasons for fasting. It’s wise to check with your health care practitioner before fasting.
4. Physical Immortality. Now here is an idea whose time has arrived. Let’s imagine this concept: “Life without death is pure life.” When we do this, we’re unraveling our personal death urge, which dwells somewhere inside us in that place where pain, aging, and negativity also dwell. While I realize this is a radical idea, relax. We really don’t have to buy into this idea; in order to let the concept work its magic, we just need to be open to it.
5. Hypnosis. As Deepak Chopra has written in AGELESS BODY TIMELESS MIND: “Aging seems to be something that’s happening to you, when in fact it is something your body has largely learned to do. It has learned to carry out the programming fed into it by you, the programmer” (Harmony Books, 1993). Hypnotherapy is simple, very effective, and can be fun, depending on its purpose; and whether a hypnotherapy session is done in person or by phone, it sets the stage for stretching beyond set limitations. Hypnosis is the art of placing the conscious self in a state of heightened suggestibility. During this time the unconscious self is very open to change and can literally set aside any limiting beliefs that may have been interfering with one’s ability to change.
It’s a proven fact that our bodies are constantly creating new and healthy cells to replace old and damaged ones, and every new cell gets its “replacing” instructions from the DNA contained in the old cell. So, it stands to reason that if our DNA programs our new cells with the healthiest and youngest information possible as a blueprint for development, the body’s cell memories will change. This process is called “Cell Transformation”. The question arises: Can hypnosis really be a powerful tool to us in order to literally tell our bodies cells to be younger? From my experience, I believe the answer is yes.
My conclusion is that over 14 million hits on Google for “mind/body connection” can’t be wrong. From my own personal experience I am pleased to report that indeed my quest for youth is paying off. I’m not quite at the Baby Boomer age range yet…actually I’m a Gen-Xer at 47 yrs young.
I practice several “Radical” anti-aging hacks myself, and the little things definitely help. Of course, I highly recommend having the fundamentals of proper nutrition and exercise habits engrained in your daily life prior to adding some of these radical improvements.
I’d love to hear of any new “radical” anti aging life hacks you’ve heard about as well – leave me a comment with your thoughts ok?